Please request that your high school send an official high school transcript to UK. This transcript should reflect grades through at least six semesters of high school work. If you are a high school graduate, submit a complete official transcript including the date of graduation.
Incoming freshmen should have the high school preparation necessary for academic success at the college level. To be eligible for consideration at UK, an applicant must have successfully completed the following high school courses as a minimum:
English/Language Arts – 4 credits
Mathematics – 3 credits
- Algebra I, Geometry, or more rigorous courses in mathematics
Science – 3 credits
- Biology I, Chemistry I, Physics I or life science, physical science and earth/space science (at least one lab course)
Social Studies – 3 credits
- From U.S. History, Economics, Government, World Geography and World Civilization (or comparable courses)
Foreign Language – 2 credits (recommended)
- Two credits in the same foreign language or demonstrated competency
Health – 1/2 credit
Physical Education – 1/2 credit
History and Appreciation of Visual, Performing Arts – 1 credit
- History and appreciation of visual and performing arts or another arts course that incorporates such content
Electives – 7 credits
- Recommended strongly: one or more courses that develop computer literacy
High school graduates from states other than Kentucky may follow pre-college curriculum requirements (college prep courses) from their state of residence.
A total of 24 credits or more must be completed in high school. Applicants should contact the Office of Undergraduate Admission for information concerning exceptions to this policy.